by Genny Ramos
With so many commercial interior design resources at your fingertips, it can be hard to cull down your search down to the essentials. We’ve curated our top 10 blogs and publications covering a diverse range of areas within commercial interior design.
Not only are these sites a destination for beautifully shot photos of interior projects, but they also offer educational and career resources, as well as in-depth reporting on the topics that matter most to designers, and FF&E professionals.
From the workplace to hospitality, here are the websites we’ve bookmarked in no particular order.
- Work Design Magazine – Founded by Bob Fox, founding principal of FOX Architects, Work Design Magazine started as a research project for a team of young interns at FOX Architects. The online magazine is now a one-stop shop for all things future of work. The website features a wealth of original content spanning weekly news roundups, case studies, and even a job board to help connect a diverse range of top talent with some of the best names in the business.
- Hospitality Design – Hospitality Design is the premier trade outlet and voice for the hospitality design industry. The HD name hosts the annual HD Expo + Conference and publishes its monthly magazine, HD Magazine, in digital and print forms. Get insights from A+D thought leaders and entrepreneurs, see hospitality trends from around the globe, and find out what products in textiles, seating, art, and more are driving innovation in the industry.
- Interior Design Magazine – Running for over 80 years, Interior Design Magazine is considered by the industry as the essential design authority for every professional throughout the design process. In addition to the magazine, the Interior Design brand includes a digital companion, interiordesign.net, and curates events serving the interior design, architectural, and facility management audience. They are published by SANDOW, a leader in building influential brands in beauty, design, business information, and luxury.
- Interiors & Sources – Interiors & Sources is different from other design publications with its exclusive focus on commercial industry decision-makers and the website’s content reaches audiences at all angles. From their “I Hear Design” podcast, webinars, CEUs, and virtual events, to newsletter, articles, and columns about specifying, sustainable design, and recent products, Interiors & Sources is the go-to resource for professionals who have the power to recommend and purchase products and services used in commercial structures.
- Design Milk – In the past year, companies all over have had to reflect on their mission and values, including their commitments to diversity and inclusion. Design Milk is no exception – and then some. Since its beginnings, the online magazine and e-commerce store has supported and shared creativity in all matters of design on a global scale. Recently, they’ve been making donations to Designs for Dignity and committed to the 15% pledge. Through their actions, they’ve shown design’s impact across sectors with areas of focus across architecture, interiors, tech, style, and more.
- Metropolis – Metropolis has been a mainstay in design for 35 years and running with beats covering interiors in the healthcare, hospitality, retail and workspaces. Browse hundreds of stories highlighting notable design projects and editorials meant to start conversations such as the future of design, sustainability, products, and cities.
- Dezeen – As of December 2016, Dezeen is considered to be the most popular and influential architecture and design magazine. With easily shareable content and opportunities to engage directly with writers and contributors, it’s easy to see why it’s been a stronghold for cultivating a community of designers and design lovers. The website takes special care to edit a selection of the best interior projects from around the world alongside trending articles and the most up-to-date news.
- Office Insight – If you’re looking for an analytic approach on workplace design, Office Insight is your resource. The weekly digital magazine covers workplace design and furnishings with valuable research analysis on market trends and interior design theory.
- WHY Magazine (Herman Miller) – Who better to speak on office design than the institution that gave way to the office cubicle? Herman Miller’s online publication, WHY Magazine, pulls back the curtain on the people and process behind the brand’s iconic products and research with Q&As featuring industry leaders, innovators, and break-out stars, as well as long-form stories on the defining workplace concepts of our time.
- Healthcare Design – With so few spaces online and in print dedicated to the design of healthcare spaces, Healthcare Design is one that stands out from the rest. Not only is it one of the few exhaustive resources devoted exclusively to the healthcare design space, but articles are also contributed directly from leading firms such as HDR, HOK, AECOM, HDR, NBBJ, and more.
Don’t forget to make reference to these blogs and online publications as you research new construction opportunities.
Learn about the latest projects designers are making an impact on. Search new construction projects nationwide for free.