Municipalities have started to react to the influx of new COVID-19 patients overwhelming ERs and ICUs.
They are building temporary hospitals and repurposing existing convention centers and hotels to handle the patient overflow.
BuildCentral has responded by developing a new construction type for its construction lead data products.
Medical facilities make up the bulk of projects, but hotels, arenas, convention centers and multifamily projects are also included. We will not be reporting on tents at this time.
Please watch this space for ongoing updates.
UPDATE: March 26, 2:55 PM CT
- As of now, we see 9 hotels across the country being repurposed for quarantine housing. Illinois leads with 5. California has 3 and Vermont has 1.
- 6 convention centers have been repurposed as temporary hospitals. All but one are on the east coast, the exception being in California.
- The United Center in Chicago will be used as a temporary logistics hub. Javits Center in New York City is being repurposed as a temporary hospital.
UPDATE: April 1, 2:41 PM CT
- As of now we see Illinois, New York and California leading the way with quarantine housing from repurposed hotels and the like at 5 each.
- Temporary hospitals are rapidly increasing in NY with 10 as of April 1, 2020. New Jersey has 4.
UPDATE: April 7, 4:11 PM
- As of now we see Illinois and California leading in quarantine housing.
- 58% of repurposed facilities in the BuildCentral COVID-19 database are hotels.
- 33% of repurposed facilities in the BuildCentral COVID-19 database are convention and expo centers.
- NJ, NY, IL and VA have 24 temporary hospitals between them, more than the rest of the country combined.
This blog will be updated regularly.
Get COVID-19 construction updates delivered to your inbox weekly with a free trial to our construction lead service.