Recreational Sports and Gaming as Entertainment Fueling Construction
Recreational sports and entertainment venues seem to be popping up all over the place. Whether it’s mini golf/driving range, pickleball, racquetball, badminton, arcade games, or a similar sporting activity, we all love to play and watch recreational sports. It’s no surprise, then, that we’re seeing a few household names tightening their grips on the recreational sports and entertainment space. Your high-school economics professor would say supply’s adjusting to meet demand.
Let’s look at some recreational sports and entertainment building construction highlights.
Topgolf Driving Construction
Topgolf, a chain of sprawling entertainment venues with high-tech driving ranges and swanky lounges with drinks and games, is a favorite spot for those looking to improve their driving game and have a great time.
But before patrons can practice their long game, the buildings and grounds have to be designed and constructed. Here are some building projects Topgolf has been working on.
- Mobile, AL, will be the location of a new Topgolf building set to open in late 2023. The two-level, $22 million venue will feature 60 outdoor climate-controlled hitting bays. This location is also projected to create 150 jobs and $2.5 million in economic incentives according to al.com.
Construction Type: New Footprint/Building Type: Free Standing Retail Category: Entertainment, Restaurant Chain: Topgolf Estimated Value: $22 million Shopping Center Name: McGowan Park Shopping Center Company Retail Chain: TopGolf USA Location: Mobile, AL 36606. I-65 and Government St Details: Plans call for the construction of a Topgolf. Stage: Early Construction Construction Start: 2/2023 Construction End: Q4/2023
- Another Topgolf will be built in St. Petersburg, FL, in late 2023. The three-story, 67,000-square-foot Topgolf complex will be located at 220 Carillon Parkway. It will have 100 climate-controlled bays for golf games, 200 televisions, a rooftop terrace, and a bar with a restaurant.
- The Greater Boston area will also have a new Topgolf in late 2023. The future three-level venue will feature 90 hitting bays, each equipped with heaters and fans.
These are the three most notable upcoming construction projects for new Topgolf locations. But you can be sure many more will be designed and built in the future.
Staying with recreational golfing, let’s look at some projects Drive Shack is working on.
Drive Shack Construction Projects
Like Topgolf, Drive Shack is a great destination for those looking to improve their driving game. Drive Shack locations feature an array of televisions to watch sporting events, a rooftop patio, arcade games, a full kitchen offering craft cocktails, parties, Golf Leagues, and exclusive socially driven events.
While Drive Shack Drive Shack owns and operates more than 50 golf courses in the U.S. as well as four 72- and 96-bay hitting facilities, they are focused on expanding their Puttery venues. Each Puttery location—currently open in Dallas and Charlotte—includes between 18,000 and 24,000 square feet of space, a full kitchen and bar, seating areas, and lounges. Every location has between two and four nine-hole themed, tech-enabled courses. Each hole has a touchscreen players use to track their scores.
Here are some cities where Drive Shack is teeing up Puttery construction:
- Kansas City
- New York
According to an article by Blueprint magazine, Drive Shack’s plan is to have a Puttery location available in every major metro area in the U.S. Each course within these Puttery facilities occupies about 2,000 square feet.
Whether it’s Topgolf or Drive Shack, there are plenty of recreational construction projects underway or planned in and around many major U.S. cities.
Enough golf. Let’s take a look at everybody’s favorite: Dave & Buster’s.
Dave & Buster’s Building for Your “Eatertainment”
What could be better than delicious food and arcade games? Absolutely nothing. Dave & Buster’s provides patrons with both. Each location features a full-service restaurant, full bar, and a large video arcade. As of October 2022, the company has 151 locations in the U.S., two in Puerto Rico, and two in Canada.
Here are some Dave & Buster’s construction projects you should know about.
- California’s Coachella Valley will be the home of a new Dave & Buster’s in late 2023. With over 20,000 square feet, there will be games, food, adult beverages, and a view of highway 111 from an outdoor patio.
- Henderson, NV, will host a new Dave & Buster’s. An architect has already been selected, and construction is expected to begin in April of 2023.
Construction Type: New Footprint/Building Type: Free Standing Retail Category: Entertainment, Restaurant Chain: Dave & Buster’s Estimated Value: $1-$5 million Company Retail Chain: Dave & Buster’s Location: Henderson, NV 89011. Stufflebeam Ave & Galleria Drive Details: Plans call for the construction of a 30,700 square-foot Dave & Busters. Stage: Planning
- Des Moines, IA, is also set to get a new restaurant. The West Des Moines City Council has now approved the site plans. The arcade and entertainment complex are planned to be 22,000 square feet in size. The company hopes to open at the Jordan Creek Town Center during the summer of 2023.
With these and other planned locations, Dave & Buster’s has an arcade full of construction projects. Plus, the company will likely keep expanding its locations in the future.
Recreational sports and entertainment companies create many construction opportunities across the U.S. People didn’t start loving food, drinks, and competition yesterday, and that’s why they pay for someone else to organize it!
For builders, suppliers, and service providers in or major U.S. cities, this sort of project comes rife with various opportunities to get involved. Topgolf, Drive Shack, and Dave & Buster’s all have upcoming projects in many metropolitan areas, but you’ll have to find them and make yourself stand out.
That’s where we come in.
BuildCentral is the only source of data and information you’ll need on project leads. Visit our website to find data, insights, and projects you can bid on: https://www.buildcentral.com/.
See all our blog posts here: https://www.buildcentral.com/blog/.